You may be moving to a different location or moving out on your own for the first time. While this is a very exciting time in your life, the actual process of moving can cause anxiety, trepidation and stress. However, moving can be quite successful when you plan ahead.
When it comes to all the legalities of real estate law, trust the expert attorneys at Austin and Pethick. We are always right there with you!
Once you determine your move date, this checklist will help you get everything in order so that your move is organized and successful.
8 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- If moving yourself, get estimates for a moving truck and make a reservation.
- If using a moving company, hire one with good references. It should be licensed/bonded and have workers’ compensation insurance. Ask about discounts, get estimates in writing and make a reservation. If using movers to pack, schedule at least two days before the move.
- Create a file for receipts and important information needed during the move.
7 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Gather copies of legal, medical, dental, financial and pet immunization records for your move file.
- Arrange to transfer school and veterinarian records.
- Contact health clubs and organizations to cancel or transfer memberships.
6 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Begin purging your home. Decide what to keep, discard, sell or donate.
- Plan a garage sale.
- Use up household products you don’t want to move.
5 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Arrange for storage, if needed.
- Submit a ‘Change of Address’ form to the post office.
- Arrange for necessary repairs to your current home.
4 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Host a garage sale and donate unsold items.
- If moving yourself, determine how many boxes you will need.
- Arrange to cancel, transfer or initiate utility services.
3 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Gather moving supplies:
- Nylon string and rope
- Packing tape
- Styrofoam peanuts
- Furniture pads
- Bubble wrap
- Utility knife
- Pack items that won’t be used prior to the move. Clearly label each box with its contents and the room for which it is destined.
- Make hotel reservations and travel arrangements for pets, if needed.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Transfer bank accounts to new branches and cancel payment arrangements on accounts you’re closing.
- Cancel or transfer delivery services and subscriptions.
- Notify legal, medical, dental, financial, insurance and home maintenance professionals; schools; and government offices (tax assessor, state vehicle registration, Social Security, IRS and VA) of your move.
- Give friends and family your address.
- Confirm parking for your moving truck or container. Obtain permits, if needed.
1 WEEK BEFORE THE MOVE
- Arrange for a sitter to care for your children while you are packing or moving, if needed.
- Fill prescriptions you will need during the move, and transfer maintenance medications to a pharmacy near your new home.
- Add copies of your driver’s license, vehicle registration and insurance to your move file.
2 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Have payment ready for the moving truck or company.
- Set aside items that should travel with you: valuables, changes of clothes and your move file.
- Pack your shipment. Load goods in a pre-designated order, saving “last load” items for the rear of the shipment.
- Empty and defrost your refrigerator.
- If moving yourself, pick up the truck as early as possible.
- If using a moving company, read the conditions before signing the “Mover Agreement,” and add it and your bill of lading to your move file. Supervise movers and give them a contact number to reach you.
- Create a list of every item loaded onto the truck.
- Conduct a final walk-through of every room, including closets, attic and garage, to make sure nothing is left behind. Turn off the water and all appliances.
- Leave future tenants a note with your new address so they can forward stray mail.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Make sure utilities are connected and appliances work before moving in.
- Gather essential first-day items:
- Cleaning supplies
- Snacks and drinks
- Toilet paper
- Paper plate and plastic-ware
- Cups and mugs
- Masking tape
- Writing utensils and paper
- Trash bags
- Basic toiletries
- Clean your new home.
- Refer to your list to check off items as they come off the truck.
- Install new locks.
- Unpack and enjoy your new home!
Click here to download our moving tips handout!